Macquarie Seeks to Sell off Korea’s Tank Terminal Operator
07.27.2023 By TankTerminals.com News - NEWS

July 27, 2023 [The Kore Economic Daily]- The asset manager seeks to sell off UTK at $316 million, 16 times the terminal operators’ EBITDA last year.

 

Macquarie Korea Asset Management seeks to sell off a tank terminal operator six years after the acquisition, at around 400 billion won ($314.8 million), sources familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

The Seoul-based investment arm of Macquarie Group Inc. is poised to sell a full stake in United Terminal Korea Ltd. (UTK), which manages tank terminals for liquid cargo like oil. Some major private equity firms are considering acquisition of the asset located in Ulsan, a port city on the southeast coast of Korea.

Macquarie hopes to sell the tank terminal operator at around 400 billion won, 16 times UTK’s earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) last year on a consolidated basis. The multiple is average in the Korean tank terminal management deals, according to sources.

UTK unloads stores and ships liquid cargo. It posted 43.3 billion won in revenue and 13.9 billion won in operating profit last year, which respectively rose 7.7% and 10.3% on-year.

Founded in 1998 as a 50:50 joint venture between United Arab Emirates’ state-run Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC) and Korea’s construction conglomerate Taeyoung Group, its full stake was sold to Macquarie at more than 100 billion won via its Macquarie Korea Opportunities Fund (MKOF) III in 2017.

Since the deal, Macquarie has more than doubled the tank terminals’ storage capacity to 468,540 kiloliters. As a bolt-on-acquisition to strengthen its cargo terminal portfolio, the asset manager also bought a 60% stake in Korea’s Onsan Tank Terminal at more than 20 billion won in 2020. The remaining 40% stake is owned by Japanese petrochemical company Nakagawa Bussan Co.

UTK is the last asset remaining in the portfolio of MKOF III, which was created at 745 billion won in 2014. Macquarie is forming MKOF VI with a target size of 1 trillion won and received a 210 billion won commitment from National Pension Service (NPS) to the sixth fund for local private equity investments.

Pro Trial: Access 12,600 Tank Terminal and Production Facilities

12,600 tank storage and production facilities as per the date of this article. Click on the button and register to get instant access to actionable tank storage industry data

Pakistan, China Likely to Sign MoU on Petrochemical Refinery Next Month
05.18.2024 - NEWS
May 18, 2024 [Geo News]- During Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s visit to Beijing in June, the g... Read More
Stena Oil’s New Terminal in Frederikshavn Officially Opened
05.18.2024 - NEWS
May 18, 2024 [Stena Oil]- On Tuesday, May 14th, Stena Oil’s new terminal in Frederikshavn was i... Read More
Axalta to Acquire the CoverFlexx Group, a Leading Aftermarket Coatings Business Focused on Economy Customers in North America
05.17.2024 - NEWS
May 17, 2024 [Axalta]- Axalta Coating Systems (NYSE: AXTA), a leading global coatings company, to... Read More
Airport Operator Groupe ADP Invests $20 Million in Sustainable Aviation Fuel Provider LanzaJet
05.17.2024 - NEWS
May 17, 2024 [ESG Today]- Sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) technology and production company Lanza... Read More