Malaysia's Petronas Delays Pengerang Restart, Sees Challenging Year
03.01.2021 - NEWS

February 28, 2021 [The Straits Times] – KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysia’s Petronas on Friday (Feb 26) delayed the launch of its Pengerang Integrated Complex until the second half of the year from the first, but dismissed rumours partner Saudi Aramco was looking to exit the US$27 billion (S$36 billion) project.

 

The state oil firm Petronas said it faced another challenging year after booking a RM1.1 billion (S$361 million) loss for the final quarter of 2020, its third quarterly loss in a row, though higher prices and demand for liquefied natural gas (LNG) helped.

The world’s fourth-biggest LNG exporter had earned a profit of RM4.1 billion for the October-December quarter a year earlier.”The outlook remains challenging with modest recovery in demand and oil prices, as the Covid-19 impact still continues with the emergence of new surges in cases,” Petronas CEO Tengku Muhammad Taufik Tengku Aziz said.

“Despite the prolonged volatile and challenging outlook, Petronas remains optimistic on our recovery pathway,” he said.

Revenue fell 31.3 per cent to RM44 billion.For 2020, it recorded a profit after tax of RM10.5 billion, it said. Excluding impairment charges, its cash flow from operations was RM40.7 billion.

It declared a RM18 billion dividend to the Malaysian government, its sole shareholder, for the year 2021.

The firm, formally known as Petroliam Nasional Berhad, said 2021 will remain difficult due to the pandemic.

Petronas has allocated its annual capital expenditure at between RM40 billion to RM45 billion for the next five years, with 55 per cent of the allocation set for domestic operations, said Liza Mustapha, senior vice president and group CFO.

It boosted its capex allocation for new energy to 9 per cent from 5 per cent as it aims to expand its renewable energy portfolio.It said the restart of the Pengerang complex in the southern state of Johor previously expected in March would be delayed until the second half of the year due to the pandemic. It dismissed rumours that partner Saudi Aramco was looking to exit the joint venture.

“Petronas and Saudi Aramco remain committed to the partnership … It remains a commitment and I have engaged with the management of Saudi Aramco regularly,” Tengku Muhammad said.

Last March a deadly fire at Pengerang forced the closure of the facility which had been set to start full commercial operations last year.

Its Myanmar operations were not affected by the military coup there, Tengku Muhammad added.

Click Here to Access Today a 6,000 Tank Terminal Database With a Pro Trial

6,350 terminals as per the date of this article. Click on the button and register to get instant access to actionable tank storage industry data

China’s Refineries in Dalian Seen as Strongest Bidders for First State Crude Reserve Release
09.20.2021 - NEWS
September 20, 2021 [hellenicshippingnews] – PetroChina refineries and private Hengli Petroc... Read More
Shell to Build Dutch Biofuels Plant in Net-Zero Push
09.20.2021 - NEWS
September 20, 2021 [Reuters] – Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) plans to build a biofuels facilit... Read More
Saudi Arabia's SABIC Says ExxonMobil Petrochemical JV Under Commissioning
09.20.2021 - NEWS
September 20, 2021 [spglobal] -Saudi Basic Industries Corp., majority owned by Saudi Aramco, said... Read More
4 European Refiners Get Full Saudi Crude Allocations
09.20.2021 - NEWS
September 17, 2021 [Argus] – Saudi Arabia will supply at least four of its term customers i... Read More